A Little History:

In July of 1952, R.B. and Flora Bergeson offered their 38 acre summer home located 8 miles east of Decorah along the Upper Iowa River to the Winneshiek County 4-H clubs. Their offer of $2,500 included their summer home and all its contents, furnishings and tools. Mr. Bergeson and his sister were interested in an organization which would take care of and preserve the virgin white pine stand on the bluff side of the river. Their offer was quickly accepted by Winneshiek County 4-H.

The Winneshiek County 4-H Club Foundation was incorporated on August 6, 1952 with the Iowa Secretary of State. In late 1952, a financial drive was organized which raised the $2,500 to secure title and property. During 1953 considerable work was done to convert buildings and grounds for camp use. All the work was completed by volunteers.

In 1954 the first camp sessions were scheduled. Thanks to a county wide ‘corn drive’ that was organized in 1957 an additional $4,000 was raised for improvements including sewer, water, and future developments.

Over the years more land was donated by ‘neighbors’ and eventually cabins were built and a 160-foot swinging bridge was added. In the mid-70’s the Pavilion, kitchen and fireplace were constructed as common areas for campers. In 2008, flooding destroyed the swinging bridge. It was replaced with today’s improved (and higher) bridge.

Each year 4-H programs from northeast Iowa enjoy the camp for 2-3 weeks each June. The camp is also open to the public (by reservation only) and has been a great place for family reunions, weddings, graduations, college track team trainings, archeology workshop trainings, and more!

The Winneshiek County 4-H Club Foundation is a non-profit organization and still operates the camp facility.